Some people will say that 2017 was the year of the Bitcoin. Whether you have invested in cryptocurrency or not, here is a Power BI tool to play with different What-If scenarios. Select the initial invested amount, set the buy and sell dates, and enter into the time machine to become a millionaire. Click on a date, on the bar chart, to find out which regulation news were published on a specific day, or click the News bookmark to expore the Bitcoin news in 2017.
Here are several useful elements you can learn by downloding the report:
- How to connect to a Web Rest API (Coindesk) to get the current Bitcoin (Coindesk BPI) price and historical data.
- How to split text into words, and load them into Word Cloud visual.
- How to create the measures that are necessary for the What-If logic.
- How to use a timeline, and toggle between two visual effects: Highlighted period, or zoom in.
- Bookmarks are also used to flip between two pages.
This submission is my first out of three submissions for the “Year in Review” contest. Learn more about the contest here.
Used Data Sources:
1- Bitcoin regulation news dataset was obtained from webhose.io who mine the web for news, blog posts and online discussions, and allowed me to export all media news on Bitcoin regulation in 2017 from the top 1000 ranked websites.
The data is vailable here: https://datachant.com/public/Bitcoin-News-Webhose-DataChant.zip
The Zip files were extracted manually to a folder. Power BI was used to append all json files.
2- Bitcoin historic prices are loaded from Coindesk: https://api.coindesk.com/v1/bpi/historical/close.json?start=2017-01-01&end=2018-12-31
If you have friends who are addicted to the fluctuations of Bitcoin, please share this blog post with them. The embedded report is auto-refreshed 8 times a day. They can just keep watching 🙂
Update (Jan 26, 2018):